Learn how addressing loneliness through technology and human intervention drives down utilization costs
Banner University Health plans needed new approach to address whole-person needs, focusing on key drivers of avoidable utilization: behavioral health conditions including loneliness and social isolation, and social barriers to care.
The three key barriers to addressing member needs:
- Low engagement rates
- Inability to engage members 24/7
- Ineffective use of nurse case managers’ clinical expertise and skills
The Pyx Health program addressed these challenges, resulting in:
- Average savings of $5,083 per member in the 6 months following Pyx Health use, generating positive ROI
- Savings were from decreased inpatient costs and emergency department use, both statistically significant (P<0.001)
- A large proportion of members reported avoiding going to the emergency department after contacting the Pyx Health support team
The study covers Medicaid, Dual-Eligible Medicare, and Long-Term Care lives in Arizona.